Sunday, August 16, 2026

Is this selfish?


Dear diary, are people insensitive for saying “God is good.”?

I’ve been pretty familiar with the phrase “God is good all the time and all the time, God is good.” for a long time. But, people of the Christian faith tend to only say that “God is good” when good things happen to them, but what about the bad? Do we just exclude that? Most of the time they’d say something along the lines of “It was all apart of Gods plan.” But how can the most gruesome and scariest things be apart of “Gods plan?” 

I could say God is good for me passing a test, but the person next to me failed theirs, horribly. I could also say that God is good because I recently got a job promotion, but the employee over at the next desk just lost theirs. I could say God is good, for me making it home safe that day, but my neighbor just lost their wife in a car accident. How can God only be good when people see fit. Is it possible to accept the fact that God allows both? (If you believe in God.) These are some of the many types of gaps I’m talking about when it comes to religion. 

I don’t completely disagree with the fact that religion can be seen as a coping mechanism. We have no real explanation on why bad things happen; just the evidence of free will. We need some form of hope, and it’s keeping many people sane. I’m not completely disregarding the fact that religion has helped many people, though. Religion gives me hope, because if it is indeed real (heaven and hell) there’s some form of justice for the people who wronged others. But also knowing that, the people I love are okay. The violence and hate of the world can’t get to them; they’ve endured enough and they’re free.

But my question still stands; so I ask this again, are people insensitive for saying that God is good?

- With love 💋 

5 comments:

  1. Imo as a Christian, I've also heard this phrase a lot. I think this is a hard subject to understand as many different people have different views of being open minded and how each religious person is different too.

    From my personal experience, I like to view it as "oh, I had a rough patch probably because I steered off course from what God wanted me to do". And of course, it's tough to always know what He has in store for us. It's like being blind and walking into a wall. Why am I trying to force my way through the wall after bumping into it still? That's what I ask myself sometimes. And then I process it, and finally I adjust my course to avoid walls in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I never understood strongly religious people who don't accept atheists, I believe that if God is real their either not all good or not all powerful, because in the state of our world, both cannot be true at the same time, there are so many horrible things happening

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. exactly what I believe as an ex muslim, sometimes i think there's a higher being out there but I can't understand labelling him as all merciful at the same time as being all powerful. wouldn't the truly all merciful thing to do be to never create the human race if we were going to destroy nature so much and destroy eachother? and I heavily dislike when arguments to this are things like "god's plan" or "free will"

      Delete

Featured

New braids who dis?

Chat wit me

iPod || 🔋
Loading track...
Please wait
iTunes API
0:00 0:30