“Well, I don’t owe people anything”, yes, you do. I hear parents say this to their kids a lot.You as a parent owe your kids love and respect, you owe your kids a safe space, you owe your kids freedom of expression, you owe your kids a stable and safe home. You brought them into this world, you owe them. “If you can’t feed your baby, then don’t have a baby.” (Literally and figuratively btw.)
This goes for everyone, though. We’re all on this earth together, we deserve to show each other basic human respect, decency, empathy, love and compassion. If everyone in this world were to be respectful of one another (which is impossible), maybe we’d be better off. Get off of that “I don’t owe you” bs. If no one “owed” anyone anything, then there’s no point of being nice, there’s no point of loving anyone at all and there will be no point in caring.
Let me cook.
When people do nice things for people, they often expect something in return. (Hence the “owe” word.) Meaning, it wasn’t truly from their heart. If you give gifts only to receive gifts back, then what’s the point. (Do you really like gift giving?). Why are you nice to people? Is it because you expect them to be nice back? Or do you do it from the kindness of your heart? If someone is mean to you in any way, don’t give them that attention they’re seeking. Instead, continue to know YOUR peace. (I’m not telling you to not stand up for yourself, but don’t let their energy overtake yours.)
Only do things because you, yourself want to. Be kind regardless of if they say “Thank you” out loud. Hold the door open for people, help someone on the sidewalk, be kind to people. No, you don’t have to choose to talk to people; if they upset you, walk away.
My mom and grandma would get upset if I, herself or someone else would hold the door open for someone and then don't say thank you. I would feel the same way, because it would be nice if you acknowledged my kindness. It’s only two words, the same two words we were taught from day one. But at the same time, I had to realize if they didn’t say those two words, I cannot let it ruin me. I did what I did because I wanted to; and if they don’t say anything in return, so be it. I’m leaving that situation there and I’m going on home to take me a shower, grab me a warm cup of whatever and doing what I do. It’s worthless letting strangers irritate you. I only got one life, I want to be able to be happy in every part of it.
Which leads me to say, don’t let someone’s mood ruin your entire day; protect your peace.
AND, before giving, know the reason why. But we do “owe” people to an extent.
- With love 💋

No comments:
Post a Comment